Friday, March 28, 2008

On the Road Home!

I crossed back into the US at a very small border crossing. It seemed that the border patrol dude was just happy to see someone. I rode through some farming country and I have to admit it was beautiful riding. I crossed into New York and rode through the Lake Champlain and Lake George regions. The Adirondacks and Catskills were made for motorcycles. This Son of the South approves. I managed to stay in a KOA that night that had a teenage boys church group camping there for the weekend. On top of that this was about the only day that rain had entered the picture. I went to bed early and arose to beautiful weather for the next day.
I rode through the battlefields at Gettysburg, PA after riding through the Almish country of Lancaster county. It was neat to see all the horse and buggies on the roads. I also passed through Nazareth, PA. It made me think of that song by The Band from Easy Rider. I hummed it in my helmet for miles. Nazareth is also where my Martin HD-28 guitar was made. I spent the night in a state park in Pennsylvania and decided to make a bee line for home.

The next day I crossed the Mason Dixon Line. I could find grits again!! I rode to Blackwater Falls State Park in West (By God!) Virginia. I stayed here two nights for some reason. I really don't know why, but on a trip like this you don't need a reason.









Then it was on to Willville Motorcycle Camp in Meadows of Dan, Virginia for the final weekend. It was good to camp among like minded individuals again. After relaxing and riding the area I headed for home on Sunday morning. It was great to be back home, but I was already planning my next adventure in my head. Next year.... Alaska and the Arctic Circle!!!!
Please check back soon. Spring is starting to burst out here in Western North Carolina and soon I will be posting week end reports. Ride safe!!!

No comments: