Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kickstand Lodge

August 6-8 I spent camping at Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah, NC. Kickstand Lodge has become a favorite hang out of mine while living in North Carolina. The owners and customers have become like family. It also serves as a good retreat from my weekday life as a teacher. Stecoah is located in extreme western North Carolina and has some of the best riding roads in the United States. Some of my favorites in the area are US 74 through the Nanthahala Gorge, Forest Service Road 711 (when I am on my GS) and the Cherohala Skyway. Yellowcreek Road and NC 28 leading to the Tail of the Dragon are other favorites. The Tail of the Dragon is among my least favorite roads in the area. On a nice weekend it is filled with young teens on sport bikes seeing how fast they can ride the 318 curves in 11 miles. It is really like a circus with all the tricked out bikes and color matched leathers.

I took advantage of the roads and road FS 711 and NC 28 to Fonatana Dam on Saturday. Below are some photos from the days ride.



No comments: