Monday, September 18, 2017

Horizons Unlimited - Appomattox, Virginia 2017




OK.  I know I am not the best at keeping this blog thing current.  To be honest I have not ridden much this year for some reason or another.  I promise I will try and do better in the future.  For this post I am going to have to go all the way back to April and try to catch up.  That will be only three posts and I hope to have them all up by next week.  The bikes have been a couple of "hangar queens"  this year.

Let's start with the Horizons Unlimited Virginia meeting for 2017.  The meeting was held April 27 til April 30.  For those of you that don't know, Horizons Unlimited is and organization for us folks that like to cross borders on our bikes.  No, I don't mean state lines... I mean borders.  For example, Guatemala, Mexico, Turkey, Poland, etc.  Around the fires you will hear conversations about the advantages of cross into Honduras at Corinto instead of Agua Caliente.  You will not hear conversations on which bar in Fresno has the coldest Bud Light.
The camping area with the bikes up front.  The make and model of the bike is not important.
What is important is that you ride, ride, ride.  Something I have been guilty of not doing
 this year.  By the way, that's my bike in the lower left corner with the read and green fuel bottles.


There were the usual presentations by folks that had ridden around the world or from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.  But what makes these events special are the people.  After attending these meeting for a few years there get to be a core group and the meetings become something akin to a family reunion.  We understand each other while many people don't.


The venue where the presentations were given.  This building also served as our mess hall.


It was great meeting and the weather was the best it had been in the three years since the inauguration of the Virginia Traveller's Meeting. 


The camping area before the unwashed masses arrived.





No comments: