Sunday, February 10, 2008

Long Way Round Begins

In the photo to the right I am packed and ready to leave for my Canadian Trip. I was to attend the the BMWMOA International Rally in West Bend, Wisconsin and then continue around the Great Lakes and return home. My wife and I had seen a British television program earlier in the year called Long Way Round with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. We started calling this trip the Long Way Round 2007. I had planned the trip for months and really looked forward to it.

The rally was fantastic! Much better than I thought it would be. The weather was perfect and I fell in love with Wisconsin. The people there have the cutest accent. This son of the south loved it! The North Woods were absolutely beautiful. After the rally I rode to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Instead of taking Route 2 straight across the peninsula I decided to take Route 13 in Wisconsin and visit the Apostle Islands National Seashore.




From there it was on to Minnesota. Minnesota was quite nice. I must say I was a little disappointed in the Scenic Route 62 along Lake Superior. It seems a lot of the land is private property and the lake can't be seen. There were, however, some places with a view. The state parks in Minnesota are quite popular and I managed to get the last camp site at Tettegouche State Park. The next day I would ride into Canada!





Please check back next week for the Canadian portion of this trip!




No comments: