Friday, June 8, 2012

Trip is Done!


I rode on through the mid-west which, as you know, is a lot of flat, straight riding where 500 mile days are easy.

You see a lot of this in Kansas.




Typical downtown in wheat country.



While riding through Dodge City a lady talking on her cell phone almost ran me down.  I was riding in the right lane of a four lane road and she was pulling out of a veterinarian's parking lot.  She was too busy talking on her phone to even check traffic before pulling out into the road.  She never looked in my direction.  Luckily no one was passing me and I swerved into the left lane.  My right pannier missed her front fender by no more than six inches.  I leaned on the horn and looked back at her and she just shrugged her shoulders.  I really hope that call was important. 

About the only stops I made were to get gas.


The next day I made it to Oklahoma.  Northern OK is a lot like Kansas.  I made it into Muskogee and stayed in the Catalina Motel.  The proprietor of this establishment likes motorcyclists.  The room was only $35 and was really pretty good.


The next night I stayed somewhere east of Memphis.  My GPS decided I should experience the wonders of downtown Memphis during rush hour.

The next day I made it home to an empty house.  The frau is away on business in Washington, D.C.


I would like to thank the several thousand bugs that died making this trip possible.



So, that makes eight countries that I have ridden in and I really don't know if I will ever add another.  But...  my frau is trying to get a sabbatical to Germany in the next year or so.  My brother-in-law has offered me his bike if she gets it and I would really like to ride in eastern Europe.   Hmmmmm!  Stay tuned!



No comments: