Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Maritime Tour (Part 6)

Today's ride was rather uneventful. I rode from Fundy National Park to Prince Edward Island National Park. On the way I stopped by Cape Enrage and Hopewell Rocks.




















I rode over the Confederation Bridge to get to Prince Edward Island. The bridge is 13km long. It is very pleasant and most of the island is cultivated. I did the birthplace of Lucy Maud Montgomery in New London, PEI. She was the author of the Anne of Green Gables books.


My guidebook was correct that Cavendish is a tourists trap. They actually do have a Ripley's Believe It or Not! Water and amusement parks abound. It was just not what I was looking for. I did get a very nice campsite right on the ocean.



I walked a little on the beach and noticed a strange phenomenon. When the tide went out several (hundreds) of smallish silver fish were left stranded on a small gulley. They were flopping around and could not get back out to sea. Birds, some that appeared to be eagles, were swooping down and having a feast on the hapless fish.

Later in the evening I spoke with some fellow riders I had met in Fundy and even a couple from North Carolina

No comments: