Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bike Preparation Has Begun

I took advantage of the unusually warm January weekend we had to begin prepping my bike for the trip.  On Saturday I changed the final drive lubricant.  After changing the lubricant I notice a slight bit of play in the rear wheel.  This may be no problem at all, but this model BMW is known for having final drive problems.  I will have it checked out by my dealer before heading out in March.  The last thing I want is to be stuck in Honduras with a broken bike.  I still have to change the transmission oil, spark plugs, air filter and set the valves.  The dealer will have to replace the brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid.

While working on the bike yesterday I injured my left thumb somehow.  This kind of injury takes a long time to heal and I will be using this thumb a lot on the trip.  For those that don't know the clutch on a motorcycle is operated by the left hand.

I have also begun planning my route.  This trip is not only about going to Latin America but the American South and West as well.  I have planned a route through the south that I think will take about 5 days before arriving in Texas.  I have also planned a route across Texas to Big Bend National Park where I will spend a few days exploring the park and visiting Terlingua before riding to Eagle Pass, TX to cross the border into Mexico at Piedras Negras.  Planning a route through Mexico becomes more complicated because I plan on sticking to the libres (free roads).  Mexico has so many cuotas (toll roads) that planning a route around them get very interesting.  For Mexico I am planning about a week.

Stay tuned and check back for more planning updates or better yet "join" my blog to keep up with all developments!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

When do you leave??

Kurt said...

Brenda, I am going to Germany in February and I plan on leaving for Central America on March 15 (depending on the Asheville weather).

Brenda said...

Sounds like a good plan. The way this winter is going, you could probably leave NOW and be just fine, lol! Warmest winter since I first moved to Asheville in 1995. By the way, I tried to comment on your most recent post, but blogger wouldn't let me. Not sure if others have encountered the same problem...