Friday, March 16, 2012

On the Road!

I left Asheville right on time.  All in all the first day was not very exciting.  The weather was remarkably warm.  I rode Highway 25 to just north of Statesboro, GA and from there I took Highway 80 West.  I spent the night in Roberta, GA in a $25 a night motel.  No Wi-Fi, of course.

On Day 2 I continued on Highway 80 to Tuskeegee, AL, home of the Tuskegee Airmen.  I visited the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site at Moton Field.  The airport is still in use.



From there I continued on Highway 80 through Mongomery on to Selma, AL.  This stretch is a National Historic Route.  This was the route that the March to Montgomery took in the 60's.  


The march started in Selma, AL at the Edmund Pettus Bridge.  This was where Bloody Sunday happened. This happened on March 7, 1965. Photos were published in the New York Times and really brought attention to the Voting Rights Movement.

From there I continued on to Jackson, MS and found another cheap hotel, but this time with Wi-Fi.  I have not decided it I will head straight to Longview or take a slight detour to mid-Louisiana.  I will try to write more later when I am visiting my family in Texas.  It is kind of hard to keep up a blog in hotel rooms.  Comments are always welcome!    



No comments: