Monday, May 7, 2012

National John Steinbeck Center

What many of my motorcycle buds don't know about me is that I have a degree in American Literature.  Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Wolfe just don't come up that much around campfires with a bunch of guys that have been riding through slop all day.  While in Salinas I had to visit the National John Steinbeck Center.  It was well worth the visit.  The exhibit was set up depicting scenes from Steinbeck's major works.

East of Eden


Tortilla Flat


The Grapes of Wrath


Steinbeck's truck and camper from Travels With Charley



Salinas has a very nice Old Town.  I strolled around a little taking advantage of the great weather.



That afternoon I visited two old army buddies that I had not seen in thirty-five years.  It was good to sit in someone's home instead of a motel room for an afternoon.  We had his daughter take the obligatory photo of the three of us.  They were married while stationed in Germany shortly after my wife and I were married.  We still look just like we did then!



By the way, this is the infamous motel in Salinas where I have stayed the last few days.  


It really doesn't look that bad during daylight hours.  At night it is a different story.  Yesterday morning I was awoke by screaming in the parking lot outside my room.  I still have no idea what was going on or even what language was being screamed.  Hookers, drug dealers and cops are constantly cruising up and down the street in front of the motel during the night.  One more night here and I am headed further south tomorrow.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is your comment about 'looking the same as you did back then' a compliment to how you look now - or an insult to how you looked back then? ha! just kidding!

-niels